In Greenridge Primary
School, we believe that every child is a leader, as imbibed by the school’s
vision of ‘Engaged Learners, Caring Leaders’. Our intent is to develop
principles-centred students who continue to learn independently and
collaboratively in school and beyond.
Our students are driven by their sense of
responsibility and public-spiritedness to come forth to lead – graciously
caring for those that they lead. They lead humbly, never asking anything in
return for their deeds and actions. Thus, through the our
Student Leadership Initiatives, we hope to nurture in our students engaged
learners, caring leaders who are grounded in values and equipped with the
competencies to meet the challenges of the 21st Century.
Student Leadership Model
In support of the school’s vision, the
department has adopted Kouzes and Posner’s (2005) Five Practices of Exemplary
Leadership as outcomes for the GRPS Student Leadership Programme. Through the
programme, we aim to inculcate in our student leaders the following 5 Practices
of Exemplary Leadership:
- To have the confidence to Model the Way
- To lead others by Inspiring a Shared Vision
- To have courage to Challenge the Process
- To foster collaboration that Enable Others to Act
- To have the passion to Encourage the Heart
Above all, we expect them to lead
with an Others-Centric mindset: to put others before themselves in their
The five practices translate into the following student commitment or behavior indicators as defined by Kouzes and Posner:
Commitment or Behaviour Indicators
Model the Way
- Find your voice by clarifying your personal values.
- Set the example by aligning actions with shared values.
Inspired a Shared Vision
- Envision the future by imagining exciting and ennobling activities.
- Enlist others in a common vision by appealing to shared aspirations.
Challenge the Process
- Search for opportunities by seeking innovative ways to change, grow and improve.
- Experiment and take risks by constantly generating small wins and learning from mistakes.
Enable Others to Act
- Foster collaboration by promoting cooperative goals and building trust.
- Strengthen others by sharing power and discretion.
Encourage the Heart
- Recognise contributions by showing appreciation for individual excellence.
To maximize leadership opportunities, our students across all levels have three avenues in which to they are given the chance to develop their leadership skills.
These three avenues are in the classroom, in their respective CCAs, as well as through the Prefectorial Board.